Ok, I understand that a lot of pen and pencil role players are starting to play again after years of abstentia...I am one of them. There is a push, due to the fact that most of us are older and have many more competing interest than we did when we used to play, to use rules light systems. I'm cool with that, especially when a core system is rules light but it is modular enough so that those of us who want some extra options can bolt them in. What I don't like is people creating an 8 page mini-game and calling it a complete rules light system. I think rules few would be a better term...here is a barely passable minimalist rules system that you can use to start a game with. I don't think any of these 4 page or 8 page games are complete without house rules and lot's of DM work.
My problem isn't with those who make minimalist rule sets and publish them. My problem is that in the era of self promotion these little 8 page "games" are getting the same amount of press as more complete products. I think that is a shame as really complete rules lite systems that are much more flushed out get lost in the noise.
My problem isn't with those who make minimalist rule sets and publish them. My problem is that in the era of self promotion these little 8 page "games" are getting the same amount of press as more complete products. I think that is a shame as really complete rules lite systems that are much more flushed out get lost in the noise.
Comments