Skip to main content

Slimming Down

The quick: I'm going to cut down my physical pen and paper RPG collection down to what can fit in a box and give people that follow this blog or me on google+ first dibs on thing.

The Long:  So my wife and I are talking about our future.  She just lost her job, and my job is portable somewhat, so there is nothing tying us to currently where we live.  We love the medium sized town we live in, but there just seems to be a lot of indicators popping up that say that we are being moved in a cosmic sort of sense.

So I've decided to go minimal.  More and more things that I use less and less will go digital (even though I'm not fully comfortable with "the cloud (for a variety of infrastructure and political reasons). If I want to be a digital nomad though I need to slim down my physical holdings of books, DVD's, RPGs, computer games in CD format, etc...

So big collections of RPG's have come and gone in my life.  Over the past few years I've started collecting again and have a big pile of stuff.  Some hard to find stuff at that.  It will pain me to get rid of a lot of it but I've decided that the only physical RPG's I'll take with me will be the ones that fit in a nice ornate chest my wife got me for Christmas.  All other RPG's must go.

For now, I've decided to keep what I most likely will use (D&D 5e core books, Savage Worlds, The original Gamma World) plus a few other games that I like that I still hold out that one day people will play them with me (High Medieval, Barbarians of Lemuria/Aftermath, Warhammer 1st Ed).  The first few cuts are-

  • Rolemaster Standard Edition (almost all the books) - I love Rolemaster, but I doubt I will play it ever again. 
  • Modern D20 + Future Tech, Cybernetics, and a few other source books - I never really got into Modern...other than using it as a loose rule system with a lot of house rules.
More cuts are coming.  I'll post stuff here that I plan to get rid of.  If interested it can be yours for a big discount on whatever the ebay going rate is.  Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free OSR of the Week: Revised MAZES and MINOTAURS

Looking for a free OSR game with a Greek Mythos theme? Look no further than MAZES and MINOTAURS.  Three core books plus a companion, all free pdfs. http://mazesandminotaurs.free.fr/revised.html

Mutant Future Christmas Themed Adventure

Bad Santa: An Adventure Concept for your Mutant Future or Post Apocalyptic Game So I *might* be running a game session tonight, I'm kind of the back up guy.  We will have possibly three GM's present, and I'm probably 3rd in line.  But as one looks like will be a no show and the other is new, I figure I better have at least a concept of an adventure setup.  So for a quick and dirty set of ideas I used the Beast & Barbarians Golden Edition adventure idea generator to generate some broad concepts for an adventure, and then applied them to a Mutant Future setting.  I also wanted to have the adventure Christmas/Holiday themed.  So here goes. Back Story The party is friends with a mutant settlement that relies on a semi-working robotical farm for food.  Some kind of robotical unit snuck into the village and stole the nuclear power cell from one of the main CPU that controls the farm.  A scout from the village tracked the bot's path into the ru...

CharacterAI Inspired Story

A mysterious rider appears in a forest and encounters a humanoid monster attempting to slay him. He defeats the monster and discovers a mystical cabin in the woods. Inside, an old woman listens to his tale, allows him to rest, feeds him, and then gives him a sword to aid in his quest. We learn the rider is a knight, obliged to kill any magical being preying on humanity, seeking vengeance for the slaying of his family by such a being. Continuing his journey, the rider reaches a keep after spending a night at a farm, where he is kindly received. It's revealed that he was once a farmer himself. At the keep, plagued by a night dragon, he stays overnight, awaiting an audience with the local lord. He demonstrates magical tricks to the keep's soldiers, hinting at his extraordinary nature. Learning that the soldiers are preparing to attack the dragon, he dissuades them, warning of their likely demise. In the morning, hearing of the lord's plan to muster an army against the dragon, ...