I'm playing the Last Unicorn version of Star Trek Next Generation. Up front I'm not really a Star Trek Next Generation fan. I'm not anti the series, when I felt like vegging in front of the tube I would watch it.
That being said, a friend busted out Last Unicorn's version of the Next Generation Star Trek RPG and we have have about four sessions playing. I actually have had a lot of fun. We play, well, in a way that is a little closer to the 60ies series than Next Gen, but the rules don't really care. We have battled Romulans in the Neutral Zone, been punished doing "team building" exercises on the Holo Deck with our captain's rival operating the simulation and throwing us lot's of curves, failed the prime directive by choosing a life over non-intervention, gone on away missions that went south, and found out that setting a type three phaser to max is a really, really bad idea, generally speaking.
The books are expensive, but if you can find them they are worth getting and playing even if you aren't a trekkie. It is really too bad Last Unicorn lost the license. The follow on Decifer(?) version I guess is largely compatible and the authors of the Last Unicorn version have put out a lot of material that was in the pipeline when they lost the license out for free. The "Icon" system from Last Unicorn is really pretty fun. It is a dice pool D6 System with skills and skill specializations that is first a little confusing but actually works pretty well. This system was used in a Dune setting, too bad it wasn't exported to other settings as I think it is a good light but feels full system.
The Verdict for the Last Unicorn Star Trek RPG: Recommended.
That being said, a friend busted out Last Unicorn's version of the Next Generation Star Trek RPG and we have have about four sessions playing. I actually have had a lot of fun. We play, well, in a way that is a little closer to the 60ies series than Next Gen, but the rules don't really care. We have battled Romulans in the Neutral Zone, been punished doing "team building" exercises on the Holo Deck with our captain's rival operating the simulation and throwing us lot's of curves, failed the prime directive by choosing a life over non-intervention, gone on away missions that went south, and found out that setting a type three phaser to max is a really, really bad idea, generally speaking.
The books are expensive, but if you can find them they are worth getting and playing even if you aren't a trekkie. It is really too bad Last Unicorn lost the license. The follow on Decifer(?) version I guess is largely compatible and the authors of the Last Unicorn version have put out a lot of material that was in the pipeline when they lost the license out for free. The "Icon" system from Last Unicorn is really pretty fun. It is a dice pool D6 System with skills and skill specializations that is first a little confusing but actually works pretty well. This system was used in a Dune setting, too bad it wasn't exported to other settings as I think it is a good light but feels full system.
The Verdict for the Last Unicorn Star Trek RPG: Recommended.

Comments